The election campaign brought polarization even among Think Tanks.
Typically, Advocacy activity has increased, to the detriment of research activity.
Many Think Tanks have damaged their non-partisan images and will need to correct in 2023, which is no difficult task.
2023 will be a year of economic uncertainty.
Ukraine’s war, clearly a mistake, needs an excuse to end because technically it’s a draw.
A possible recession could affect our exports, but our bet is that we will grow a little and that there will be no disaster.
Remember that all this discussion of fiscal balance refers to only 20% of GDP, the other 80% will depend on the performance of the civil sector.
We have enormous legal, political and institutional uncertainty that affects investment decisions, but we believe that we will soon have a clearer view.
Economists are not computing various measures created in the past government, micro measures that take time to flourish, but are exponential.
Like the law that allows the emergence of Community Banks, which serve only the host city, and 847 have already been created and operational in 2023.
The PT is one of the most receptive parties for public policy suggestions. So much so that it has one of the best parties Think Tanks, the Perseu Abramo Foundation.
I would say that the Perseu Abramo Foundation is the first to be contacted if they want access to the government, at least to research the public policies they propose.
Funding for Think Tanks from the government will be more difficult as there is indeed a huge fiscal crisis.
What is proposed is to increase social spending by contracting debts for the future, which is not good financial practice.
On the other hand, there is an enormous concern from the private sector with the collapse of our institutions and good research proposals in this area should attract attention.
The proposal to drastically increase the tax on inheritances tends to stimulate the decision in favor of philanthropic donations.
In the next ten years, 43 trillion dollars in the world will be inherited by the new generation, and the new generation is more generous than their parents.
On January 4, 2019, the Endowments Law 13,800 was enacted.
“This Law provides for the constitution of endowment funds with the objective of collecting, managing and allocating donations from private individuals and legal entities for programs, projects and other purposes of public interest.”
It is a much simpler and cheaper structure than a Foundation.
That is, it is an opportunity for Think Tanks to appear to the general public as an option.
With internet resources, we believe that many Think Tanks should think about merging with another similar Think Tank, creating scale, international size, reducing some costs and more national coverage.
This will inevitably be a necessary trend, which I will address shortly.
2023 will be a year like all the others, nothing extraordinary to fear.